Mission & Goals
To use music as a vehicle for social change by engaging Union City’s at-risk children and youth in an afterschool program devoted to promoting arts appreciation, academic excellence, community awareness, and family involvement.
- Cultivate in Union City’s youth the fundamental life skills of self-esteem, self-expression, cooperative learning, discipline, and creativity that will inspire and motivate them to become well-rounded individuals and better citizens.
- Support the students’ musical training by offering them quality instruction, instruments, and a full range of personal and family enrichment experiences.
- Encourage parents to become actively involved in their children’s learning process, thereby increasing their overall chances of lifelong success.
Long Term Goals
- Help shape Union City’s future generation into well-rounded, productive, and proud citizens.
- Build a healthier Union City and address the pervasive social challenges affecting its underserved youth by providing them with a positive outlet of creative immersion that will keep them off the streets and out of trouble.
- Establish the Union City Youth Orchestra (UCYO).
- Prepare UCMP participants to feed the ranks of the UCYO and/or to compete in other local, regional, and national orchestras.
- Foster cultural awareness by creating a student/teacher exchange program with other El Sistema-based programs around the country and abroad.
- Create a vocational school to train students in the art of crafting and repairing musical instruments, providing jobs and income generation for Union City, thereby spurring economic growth and allowing the program to eventually become ﬁnancially sustainable.